CCJP event on Thursday 20th October 2016
Our Lady of Grace Hall, 2 Dukes Avenue, Chiswick, W4 2AE
2016’s ‘Peace in War’ event theme is: ‘Conscience and Choices’
Events one hundred years ago in 1916 saw the passing of conscription laws and the emergence of conscientious objectors. 2016 sees war and conflict affecting much of the globe. What part should non-combatants take, and what are the particular choices? The speakers will address these questions.
- Welcome – Simon Rodway OBE, CCJP Chair and Fr Michael Dunne, Our Lady of Grace Catholic Church, Chiswick.
- Introduction by the event Chairman – Torin Douglas, MBE, writer, speaker who served 24 years as BBC’s Media Correspondent.
- Observations from today’s war zones – Rageh Omaar, journalist and ITV’s International Affairs Editor
- The challenges for the forces in conflict – The Reverend Deiniol Morgan, Army Chaplain
- The roles of the Red Cross in place of conflict – David Peppiatt, Executive Director, International Operations, Red Cross
- Is taking up arms the only answer? – Patricia Cockrell, MBE, peace activist and Quaker speaker
- A personal selection of war poetry – Fergal Keane OBE, author and BBC News foreign correspondent – Read the Poetry selection here
- Discussion – Audience and speakers, chaired by Torin Douglas
- Personal Reflections – Ruth Cadbury, MP
- Closing prayer – Simon Rodway and Fr Michael Dunne.
More on the event:
Chiswick Churches for Justice and Peace (CCJP) wishes to thank Our Lady of Grace & St Edward’s Church for providing the venue for this event. It also thanks them together with five other CCJP members; Christ Church, St Michael’s and All Angels Church, St Michael’s Church, St Nicholas’ Church and the Brentford and Isleworth Quakers for their financial support.
For more information visit: