- This event has passed.
Conscience and Choices
20th October 2016 @ 7:30 pm - 9:00 pm
CHISWICK CHURCHES FOR JUSTICE & PEACE (CCJP)
CCJP event on Thursday 20th October 2016
Our Lady of Grace Hall, 2 Dukes Avenue, Chiswick, W4 2AE
2016’s ‘Peace in War’ event theme is: ‘Conscience and Choices’
Events one hundred years ago, during 1916 in particular with the passing of conscription laws, the emergence of conscientious objectors and the further horrors of the Great War that year. 1916 to 2016 concerned being in the middle of an existing war/conflict and how can we help and work to unravel it.
- Welcome – Simon Rodway OBE, CCJP Chair and Fr Michael Dunne, Our Lady of Grace Catholic Church, Chiswick.
- Introduction by the event Chairman – Torin Douglas, MBE, writer, speaker who served 24 years as BBC’s Media Correspondent.
- Observations from today’s war zones – Rageh Omaar, journalist and ITV’s International Affairs Editor
Personal observations which seem to characterise such developing conflict with some thoughts on whether and how such conflicts can or might be resolved.
- The challenges for the forces in conflict – Deiniol Morgan, Army Chaplain
Talks about moral and spiritual guidance for the military forces in training and in combat locations. How do we support casualties of war/combat?
- The roles of the Red Cross in place of conflict – David Peppiatt, Executive Director, International Operations, Red Cross Helping and being allowed to help the casualties of war and combat plus when and where is neutrality at its most valuable or powerful?
- Is taking up arms the only answer? – Patricia Cockrell, MBE, peace activist and Quaker speaker
Talks about conscientious objection to military service 100 years ago and today, the power of non-violence to transform conflict and to build a culture of trust, the challenge to militarism and the rejection of war.
- A personal selection of war poetry – Fergal Keane OBE, author and BBC News foreign correspondent A series of poems selected and read by Fergal.
- Discussion – Audience and speakers, chaired by Torin Douglas
Tonight’s speakers form a panel to receive questions and other comments from the floor, giving responses as appropriate.
- Personal Reflections – Ruth Cadbury, MP for Hounslow and Isleworth.
- Closing prayer – Simon Rodway and Fr Michael Dunne.
- 20th October 2016
7:30 pm - 9:00 pm
- Chiswick Churches for Justice & Peace
- Our Lady of Grace Hall
2 Dukes Avenue
Chiswick, London W4 2AE United Kingdom + Google Map